Newborn Baby Bonus
- To boost efforts to encourage childbirth, the Government will provide a one-off cash allowance of $20,000 as financial incentive to eligible parents for each baby born on or after 25 October 2023 in Hong Kong. The initiative will be implemented for a period of three years. Starting from 25 October 2023, when registering births and applying for birth certificates, parents can at the same time submit application for the Newborn Baby Bonus. The funding required for the scheme is subject to scrutiny by the Legislative Council. Pending funding approval, the bonus will be dispersed in the first quarter of 2024.
To be eligible for the bonus, the following conditions have to be fulfilled:
- Babies must be born in Hong Kong between 25 October 2023 and 24 October 2026; and
- Either parent of the babies must be a Hong Kong permanent resident.
Application and deadline
- Application submission and collection of the bonus must be made by either parent of the newborn (authorising other persons to submit application or collect the bonus is not allowed);
- Parents of a newborn child shall apply for the bonus within a period of 42 days after the day of the birth, when registering the child’s birth with the births registry. Otherwise, the application must be made within 6 calendar months after the day of the birthNote 1.
In-person or online application
When attending a births registry in person, eligible parents can register the birth, apply for birth certificate and apply for the bonus at the same time.
Online application (Only applicable to registered users of “iAM Smart+” mobile app)
Immigration Department’s online system for making birth registration will provide an application form for eligible parents to provide payment details (including the name and account number of the local sole-name bank account of the payee, as well as a local contact telephone number that can receive local SMS.)
For online birth registration, please visit https://www.immd.gov.hk/ebirthreg.
Frequently Asked Questions
|Q1:||If babies are born outside Hong Kong (including overseas or Mainland China), are parents still entitled to receive the Newborn Baby Bonus?|
|Ans:||No. The initiative is meant to encourage childbirth in Hong Kong, eligible parents will be granted with bonus only for babies born in Hong Kong during the specified period.|
|Q2:||How to apply for the Newborn Baby Bonus?|
|Ans:||Eligible parents may apply for the Newborn Baby Bonus either in person at a births registry or online.|
|Q3:||Who can apply online for Newborn Baby Bonus?|
|Ans:||The criteria is the same as the online registration of births. Please refer to https://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immigration/bdmreg/onlinebirthregistration.htm.|
|Q4:||How to calculate and disburse the Newborn Baby Bonus for multiple birth babies?|
|Ans:||The Newborn Baby Bonus will be calculated on each baby born. For twin babies, parents will be granted $40,000 cash allowance in total and so on.|
|Q5:||When will the Newborn Baby Bonus be dispersed?|
|Ans:||The Government will start disbersing Newborn Baby Bonus in about a month after obtaining the funding approval of the Legislative Council in early 2024. Afterwards, if bank account details provided by the applicants are correct, the bonus will be paid to their accounts in two to three weeks from the date of application.|
Please call 2810 3568 or email to: email@example.com.
Note 1 Example 1: If the baby is born on 1 November 2023, the application for newborn baby bonus should be made on or before 1 May 2024. Example 2: If the baby is born on 31 December 2023, the application for newborn baby bonus should be made on or before 30 June 2024.